I visited the lake on Saturday morning with the intention of getting the CES under way, but rain and gusty wind put a stop to my plan. Since I was there I got on with the nest box check, and covered all but the RB2 boxes: I couldn't find a map for these, and none of the ones I did find were numbered! Of note was the box closest to the RB2 ringing bench which had a female Redst sitting n a finished nest without eggs, so worth getting down there again to check up on these.
I went back on Monday, joined by Carlton, and got stuck into the 1st CES of the year.
It was a surprisingly cold 06:00 start, with a mist that cleared quickly to make way for a quiet, warm mid-morning. Carlton left at around 10:30, after which only 2 additional birds were caught.
The total catch for the day was 13 new birds and (7) re-traps, comprising:
Blabi (1)
Blaca 5 (1);
Bullf 1;
Chiff 1 (1);
Dunno 1;
Garwa 1 (1);
Greti (1);
Reebu 1;
Wilwa 1;
Wren 2 (2);
Lets hope for a boost in numbers for the next go!
Here is a photo of the handsome Bullfinch caught during the session.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.